Saturday, September 8, 2012

Foursquare

Foursquare is no longer just the game you once played at recess. Foursquare in the media world is a mobile application for smart devices that allows you to check in the locations and share events and locations with friends. I had never heard of Foursquare until recently and I'm realizing there are a lot of social networks out there that are new or haven't heard of yet. It uses your GPS location to show you locations near you or your friends. It's crazy to think that not very long ago this application wouldn't even be possible.

I didn't really know how Foursquare was any different from Urbanspoon or "check-ins" on Facebook. I decided to get an account and see what it's all about. I also realized by the end of my Social Media class, I'll have more than twice the social networking accounts I started with. There are so many different sources for the same purposes.

Location based platforms are becoming more and more popular. As soon as I logged in all sorts of locations near me popped up like Adam's Park, The Book Table, and Cooper Mill Grill. Foursquare includes and adds extra additions to "check-ins" that previously exist. I can see Foursquare catching on mainly via Twitter especially in a college town like Logan. I hope it does because spontaneous events are always going on and I could see it help getting better attendance at events if you could see what friends were there. I'm excited for the world that Foursquare and social media has to offer.

https://foursquare.com/
http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/26/a-brief-history-of-foursquare/

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the article. I'm curious to learn more about Foursquare. Do you find that it is mostly just junk ads, or actually beneficial to events that are going on around you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very into foursquare once upon a time. I wanted to get as many badges and mayorships as I could. Then It got old. I had checked-in to every spot I could. It was interesting to me that you mentioned how it is catching on in Logan because when I used foursquare more frequently I felt like Logan was one of the worst places to use foursquare. I remember going to Los Angeles to visit my family and finding out new uses for foursquare, adds, promos and other business oriented stuff that made it more interesting. After that trip and seeing how lame logan was about using Foursquare I lost interest in it. Glad it is finally catching up to the rest of the world though. I feel like it has potential but you have to be in a big metropolis to really see what this is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Caitlyn! Thanks for the post it was really interesting! I had never heard of foursquare until this class but I really like the idea of it. I like how you can get recommendations on where to eat and what's good because sometimes it's hard to find good place to eat. But on the down side I don't want everyone knowing where I am which is hard with location based platforms! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Caitlyn! You are right it is a great feature. Do you think as a business you should promote people to use foursquare and give them a discount or check in? I feel more will see the checkin and use facebook more. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spencer, I think you might be right about Facebook check-ins. I think Foursquare would be amazing, but Facebook is so comfortable for most people.

      Delete
  5. I think FourSquare was created to have fun, more than anything else. I don't see a lot of value in actively participating in the location based platforms unless you are a business. I posted about that. Like Spencer was saying, it's easier to incorporate these type of features into a website that is already so successful and has such a heavy following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of social media sites and apps are going to have that problem. People don't want 100 different sites if they can have one that does everything. Now it's a matter of time before all those sites get incorporated into Facebook or Twitter.

      Delete
  6. Great post. I didn't know about foursquare either until recently. I think Foursquare is already being used by quite a lot of people, so maybe it will be able to hold it's own for a while.

    ReplyDelete