Sunday, October 14, 2012

Google Maps

A few days ago my neighbor knocked on my door seeking homework advice. He is a grandfather returning to school with little knowledge of computer or internet programs. He was complaining to me about his teachers and them only accepting electronic files for assignments. He had a map assignment to be done for his Western History class. The only thing I could think of was to use PowerPoint or Photoshop or that's what I would have done.

As he opened his Aggiemail, there was a Google ad for Google Maps. I thought of Google Maps to get directions or creep on your neighbor's house using Google Earth. I continued to read and saw that now you can create your own maps using Google Maps. I was so excited to get this assignment done and use this new program. My neighbor, me, and my boyfriend set up our computers and all linked in to Google Maps. We researched forts, trails, rivers, mountains and territories. Attached is one of the few maps I worked on.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206617347962224049338.0004cbf5fb8c2d247b155&msa=0

As I was creating these maps, I thought of the world BG (before Google.) Google has changed the way we do things. Google isn't just a large business, it's a new way of life. Even a year ago, this option didn't even exist. I remember my Freshman year I took a Mass Media Communication class and we joked about Google taking over all the Internet and Social Networking sites. I remember talking about Facebook and MySpace merging or Friendster making a comeback. It's amazing to think that Google taking over, might not be to far off. Technology is constantly being created and changed. What we learn our Freshman year will be obsolete by the time we graduate. We are preparing students for jobs we don't know existed in creating things that we didn't know were even possible. 

We are going to have to change so many things to stay alive in our society. We have to be tech savvy, fast paced, and overall intelligent. We have to keep up with new technology and ever changing jobs. We are now competing with countries all over the world. We will need to change the way education is set up. Marketing is going to be everything. Marketing not only your business weather online or not, but also being able to market yourself in ever aspect of your life. 

Most of the Top 10 best jobs didn't exist only a few years ago. According to Money Careers the top ten best jobs are:
1: Nurse
2: Software Developer
3: Pharmacist
4: Medical Assistant
5:Database Administrator
6: Web Developer
7: Computer System Analyst
8: Physical Therapist
9: Computer Programmer
10: Occupational Therapist

http://money.usnews.com/money/careers/articles/2012/02/27/the-best-jobs-of-2012

  

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! It is crazy how quickly the world is evolving - and I love it. It's such a rush to think that my future plans may evolve around a technology that doesn't even exist. Very Twilight zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! I didn't even know you could do that. One thing is for sure though, Google will take over the world. When I was writing my blog google didn't even crossed my mind as a marketing tool. But the more I think about it, it is one of the greatest of them all. Google maps is what I use to get from place to place, search for "Italian restaurants" and even read some of their reviews. I can't wait to see where Google will take us in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete