Sunday, November 11, 2012

Zuckaberg Search Engine


"I’ll Google” that" has become a well-known phrase for simply searching something online. When I was younger I remember using Yahoo and Dogpile more than Google. Over the years, I have forgotten about other search engines and only use Google. Google has the algorithm and information we all need. But the on going battle between Google and Facebook continues. Mark Zuckerberg has been working on creating his own search engine. He said, “We’re basically doing 1 billion queries a day and we’re not even trying. Facebook is pretty uniquely positioned to answer the questions people have. At some point we’ll do it. We have a team working on it.”

Since Facebook has a strong relationship, including investment, with Microsoft, it will be interesting to see if the social network works with the Bing team at all, as it works on its own product. Zuckerberg said, “This is no easy problem, just ask the top dog.”

It’s going to take a lot for Zuckerberg to take away from Google users. His search engine is going to have to be at the users fingertips and well built. He’s right in saying that is no easy task. I can see where Google is now more of a competitor, his reasons for wanting his own search engine. But it doesn't necessarily need to compete with Google. Twitter search isn't a totally Google killer, but it offers things Google doesn't. I wonder if Facebook search is going to be more of a personal question/answer search engine. As apps grow people will use Google less and less in their mobile devices and even on their desktops. If I'm looking for a product, I use Amazon. Things are more tailored to people's individual needs now. So If you need something when your in Facebook, why not use their search engine?

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you that Google will be used less and less as more people just use their phone apps.
    Right now I don't think Facebook has the power to compete with a search engine like Google, but maybe a few years down the road when Google isn't used as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook vs. Google... I'm not sure who I'd put my money on! I'm anxious to see what comes of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I can't seem to find Bing all that great. I have done their blind side to side comparison and Google always wins on mine. I try to be as unbiased as possible but I guess Google is just better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Carlos... I don't love Bing. I loved the nostalgia while thinking back to "Ask Jeeves" and other early 2000's internet stuff!! hahah

    ReplyDelete